Monday, March 5, 2012

Moist Chocolate Cupcakes with Almond Buttercream

This is one of my favorite cupcake recipes so far. It's simple and easy, and turns out to be so moist and delicious. I used the recipe from yourcupofcake.com, but replace some ingredients, like using butter instead of oil, and plain yogurt instead of sour cream.
For the icing I used a recipe from that website as well but tweaked it to have almond flavor. Ill probably be using this icing from now on because I was so happy with the out come, but maybe next time try adding some whipping cream.

My first batch of cupcakes. I added a little to much batter so they over filled a little, but didn't really matter, just bigger cupcakes! And over to the right you can see a half eaten cupcake, I couldn't help my self, I had to have a taste.

This was my first try at piping, I think I did pretty good.


I went with blue icing for two reasons, one because it matched my cupcake wrappers and second because the flavor almond can relate to the color blue, right..?

Chocolate Cupcakes:


1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix
3 eggs
1/2 cup melted butter
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Icing:

1/2 cup butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese, softened
2-3 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon Almond extract

Directions for Cupcakes
-Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
-Melt butter, and let it cool. Once it's cool add butter, vanilla and eggs into a large mixing bowl.
-Sift in Cake mix, then add buttermilk and stir.
-Then stir in the plain yogurt, be carful not to stir more than necessary.
-Fill liners 3/4 full and bake for 18-22 minutes, or until an inserted knife comes out clean.

Directions for Buttercream:
 Beat butter, cream cheese until its creamy. Scrape the bowl as needed. Add powdered sugar and almond extract and beat. If your buttercream is too thin, continue to add more powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment